Alberta Minute – Your weekly one-minute summary of Alberta politics.
This Week In Alberta:
- In the Legislature, Bill 2 (An Act to Make Alberta Open for Business), Bill 3 (Job Creation Tax Cut), and Bill 4 (Red Tape Reduction Act), are all at Committee of the Whole.
- Bill 7 (Municipal Government Property Tax Incentives), and Bill 8 (Education Amendment), are at Second Reading.
- Bill 5 (Supplementary Supply) and Bill 6 (Interim Supply), originally expected to be introduced last week, will now be introduced this week.
Last Week In Alberta:
- The Legislature debated for more than 24-hours straight, from Wednesday night to Thursday night, as the NDP filibustered Bill 2, which changes labour laws. The Bill passed regardless.
- The Government re-announced their plan to create a $30 million Energy War Room. Other than it being based in Calgary, there weren’t too many details about exactly how it will work.
- The Canadian Taxpayers Federation are conducting a Canada-wide tour highlighting the cost to Canada (and Alberta) of lost oil revenue due to a lack of pipelines.