Alberta Minute – Your weekly one-minute summary of Alberta politics.
This Week In Alberta:
- Thanks to the end of the opposition’s filibuster (just in time for Stampede – surely a coincidence!), the Legislature is now on break for the Summer.
- Jason Kenney will hold a pre-meeting meeting with Doug Ford (ON), Scott Moe (SK), Blaine Higgs (NB), and Bob McLeod (NT) on Sunday, prior to the Council of the Federation the following week.
- The biggest thing happening this week, though, is the Calgary Stampede. Pretty much every provincial politician will be in Calgary for Stampede, and if you want to check it out yourself, here’s a list of the best free pancake breakfasts, and a more extensive list of all Stampede-related events.
Last Week In Alberta:
- Despite a record-breaking 46+ hour filibuster by the opposition, including almost 40 hours of debate, Bill 8 (Education Amendment Act) passed third reading on Wednesday.
- Bill 2 (An Act to Make Alberta Open for Business), Bill 12 (Royalty Guarantee Act), and Bill 13 (Alberta Senate Election Act) also passed third reading last week, completing the government’s legislative agenda for the Summer session.
- After the filibuster ended, the government was able to complete its legislative agenda and so the Legislature broke for the summer, rather than for a one-week constituency week as originally planned.